Friday, June 17, 2011

Freedom from the Spirit of Anger

The other day I was listening to a sermon by S. M. Davis called "Freedom from the Spirit of Anger."  (The text of this sermon can be found here.)  When I began listening to it, I had in my mind that I was looking for ways to help my children in the area of their tempers.  I didn't realize how very convicting it would be for me.  I don't consider my self an angry person.  I am usually fairly calm, patient and don't lose my temper.  But sometimes I do, and oftentimes I am feeling irritated.  This is often directed toward my children and they know it.  I was very convicted that I have a spirit of anger within me.  Rev. Davis points out that there is no biblical justification for anger.

Psalm 37:8 says, "cease from anger and forsake wrath." Notice what this verse does not say. It does not say, "keep spiritual anger and forsake carnal anger."
Proverbs 19: 19 says, "A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment: for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again."
Proverbs 27: 4 says, "wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous." "Outrageous" means "like a downpour or a flood." It’s not possible to have a little bit of anger. Anger is a flood.
Ecclesiastes 7:9 says, "anger resteth in the bosom of fools."
Galatians 5: 19-20. "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, etc." 

And "VICTORY IN THE AREA OF THE SPIRIT OTHERS SENSE COMING FROM YOU IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN VICTORY IN THE AREA OF ACTIONS OTHERS SEE YOU DOING."  I realize that I often spend entire days walking around with an attitude of mild irritation.  Let's face it, mothering is a challenge and child training can be frustrating.  However, my attitude of irritation has its roots in anger and self centeredness.  The worst thing is that I am teaching my children to also have a spirit of anger.  I am feeling so convicted by this.  The Holy Spirit and kindly been pointing out my anger to me the last couple of days.  So often I will be frustrated at something for something they did and have difficulty controlling my temper.  What they did would be very wrong and I would feel justified in my anger.  But there is no biblical justification for anger.

Through this I am brought to mind of Michelle Duggar.  I have always been impressed with the Duggar family.  One of the things that most impresses me is the sweet spirit of Michelle, the mom.  Childish tempers may fly and things get very chaotic, but manages to speak calmly and thoughtfully to her children.  As I listened to this sermon, I realized that she is a living, breathing example of someone who is so filled with the right Spirit, the Holy Spirit, that the spirit of anger has no place in her.  I am so grateful to be able to see that because I know that this is what God desired for me.  To live up to my full potential as God's girl, that spirit of anger within me must be shoved right out the door.  With God's help, it will be.

No comments: