Monday, November 14, 2005

Passionate Devotion

This morning I read through the 23rd and 24th chapters of the book of Jeremiah. These verses are full of God's passion both good for His chosen people and bad for those who have led them astray. God shows Jeremiah two bowls of figs. In one, the figs are perfect, ripe and ready to eat. The other is a bowl of rotten, disgusting figs. Rotten ones are those evil shepherds who have led God's chosen astray and He has no kind words for them, but the beautiful ones represent God's people. Here is what He says of them,
" 6 My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back
to this land. I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and
not uproot them. 7 I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart."

God really wants the very best for His children - His chosen. All He wants in return is their hearts. He even says that He "will give them a heart to know Me." How awesome!

This is a beautiful reminder to me today that God wants to be my FIRST love and devotion. He wants MY heart! Then He will gladly care for me and will "build me up and not tear me down." What a peace and comfort that is!

No comments: