Thursday, November 10, 2005

Titus 2

Every morning I try to read the "Bible in a Year" at www.crosswalk.com. It gives you a little Old testament, New testament and a bit of a Psalm or Proverb. If you are consistent and do this for a complete year, you will have read the entire bible. I sheepishly have to say that I have used this site for a couple of years and still have yet to complete half the days (it keeps track of what calendar days you have read) It tells me "According to your progress chart you have completed 103 days of reading." I tend to use this until something in particular comes up that I want to study each morning.

Anyway, this morning's reading included chapter 2 of the book of Titus. If you are not familiar with it, it is instructions to Titus on how to lead and direct the church where he was(which I think was Crete). Let me quote a few verses:
"Guide older women into lives of reverence so they end up as neither gossips nor drunks, but models of goodness. 4 By looking at them, the younger women will know how to love their husbands and children, 5 be virtuous and pure, keep a good house, be good wives. We don't want anyone looking down on God's Message because of their behavior." (Titus 2:3-5 The Message)
I have heard this verse quoted many times. There are Titus 2 women's groups that promote the art of godly womanhood, motherhood and the art of homemaking. Today, I was struck with something new as I read this. I have always considered myself one of the "younger" women who should look to the example of the "older" women, but the thought hit me today that *I* could be considered one of the "older" women. I still have MUCH to learn from those more experienced than I, but with 17 years of marriage, 11 (almost 12) years of parenting under under my belt, and raising and homeschooling 4 children, I have some wisdom of experience that could be an example to those new to marriage and motherhood. *I* could actually be a person that someone looks to for wisdom in the areas of homemaking and being a godly wife and mother. How scary is that!?! So often I feel like my actions at home are not really of consequence. I am talking about the day to day drudge work. You know, the cleaning, laundry, cooking.... But what if they are not? What if everything that I do is being watched and observed? Would anyone be "looking down on God's Message" because of my behavior?

This passage today really reminds me that my job as keeper of the home really matters. It IS seen by others. Perhaps the best way to handle this is to be honest about my struggles and how the Lord has and is helping me to overcome them. In all honestly, keeping a home clean and organized does NOT come naturally for me. I LOVE a clean and organized home, but I struggle with the process and discipline of keeping it that way. Over the years I have improved immensely, but we keeping adding more children and activities and stuff to our household so even though I am more efficient with my homemaking skills the net results in our house have remained pretty much the same. Things are not as clean and organized as they should be.

Within a week, we will be moving to a new beautiful home. It is twice the size of our current one and laid out exactly the way we wanted it. This has come about only because God's hand was in it. We have been calling it "God's House." I really think he wants us to live in it in such a way as to paint a picture of God through our home life. I know that sounds odd, but I really am getting this from Him. We cannot do his in a home full of dirt and chaos. While I do not want to become overly focused on cleaning, I do want to become more efficient and organized in this area and teach this to my children. They have not seen the best examples of this so far in their lives. Since I know that I fail miserably in this area, I am looking to the Lord for wisdom and guidance. "Direct my footsteps according to Your Word; let no sin rule over me." (Psalm 119:133)

So while I am still looking to those with more experience for their example, I am striving to be that godly example myself - to love my husband and children, be virtuous and pure, keep a good house and be a good wife.

No comments: