Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bible Translations

I am often amazed at how differently passages of scripture will speak to me in different translations. I have been using the Bible in a Year tool at www.crosswalk.com of late for my daily bible reading. I normally an an NIV (New International Version) girl, but a while back I started reading the passages out of the Message bible. It is definitely a very paraphrased version written in a modern day style. I have REALLY been enjoying it. It kind of puts a fresh spin on things for me.

For example, part of today's reading was Psalm 15. In the NIV it reads,

"1 LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill?
2 He whose walk is blameless
and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart
3 and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong
and casts no slur on his fellowman,
4 who despises a vile man
but honors those who fear the LORD,
who keeps his oath
even when it hurts,
5 who lends his money without usury
and does not accept a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things
will never be shaken."


I love verses like this. They tell it like it is and how we need to live. But listen to it in out of the Message:
"1GOD, who gets invited to dinner at your place?
How do we get on your guest list?

2"Walk straight,
act right,
tell the truth.

3"Don't hurt your friend,
don't blame your neighbor;
4despise the despicable.
"Keep your word even when it costs you,
5make an honest living,
never take a bribe.
"You'll never get
blacklisted
if you live like this."

Love this, too! Gives it a totally new twist, doesn't it? I like this. It is times like this that I wish I knew Hebrew and could read the original. If you want to try your hand at that, check this out: Blue Letter Bible.

No comments: