Friday, July 23, 2010

Modern Day Rib

I am continuing my study of what God says about being a wife to my husband. I have finished the book, "Creative Counterpart" and have begun to read "An Excellent Wife" by Martha Peace. Both books discuss what it means to be a biblically submissive wife, but are very different styles.

This morning, I took a break from the book and decided to read the the website I mentioned before, "A Wife's Biblical Submission." The link for this online study can be found in the sidebar to the right. I am reading from Week 2 of the study which discusses how the woman was taken from the man's rib. If you think about the purpose of a physical rib, it is protection. A rib is a delicate thing, but yet strong. It protects both the heart and the lungs.

It is interesting that God chose this rib to create woman. In general we tend to think about men as the protectors of women, but a wife plays an important role in protecting her husband. She protects his heart, by always loving and supporting him. Even if a man faces negativity all day long, he can deal with it if he comes home to a loving wife that supports him and respects him no matter what. If the reverse is true, no matter how much respect and kudos the world gives a man, he will be beaten down and weakened if he gets no respect at home from his wife. A rib also protects the lungs. The lungs take in air from the atmosphere. We, as wives, need to protect that atmosphere. How do we do that? Most importantly, we need to blanket his atmosphere with prayer. Next, we can make his home a place of peace and restoration. We can also choose to bless him with our words. We need to do this intentionally.

This role as protector is a totally new concept to me. I will have to remind myself of this role until it becomes habit, as well as pray for God to reveal where my husband has needs in this area and how I can respond.

Do you want to join me in studying about our roles as godly wives? I would enjoy discussing this with you. You can follow the link to the left or pick up one of the books that I mentioned. Leave me a comment and link to your blog. I would enjoy seeing how God is leading you.

No comments: