Thursday, July 08, 2010

On Being a Creative Counterpart to my Husband

No matter what you call it, help meet, creative counterpart, submissive wife, it is clear from scripture that is what God has called us, as wives, to be. The struggle in this day and age of feminism is to know what that looks like. Good examples are few.

In general, most women find the idea of putting their husband's needs above their own and serving him rather repugnant. We have been taught from an early age that submitting to any man is an archaic idea from the unenlightened past.

However, scripture clearly says that the woman was created for the man.
"For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man." 1 Corinthians 11:8-9

Man and woman were not created simultaneously. No, woman was created after man to be a helper to him.
"Then the Lord God said, 'It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.'” Genesis 2:18

I know that many women may find the idea of this rather offensive. I might, too, if it were not for the fact that I trust in god and believe in ther Truth of His Word.

So, if I believe that I was created by God to be a helper to my husband, what exactly does that mean? I know for a fact that my husband would be extremely irritated if I called him to consult on every little household decision or child behavioral issue. He would also hate to be married to a doormat. He has told me that it is a comfort to him that I am a strong, capable, independent woman.

So, I am searching the scriptures, being still, and listening to God to understand what being an ideal wife to my husband and fulfilling at least part of God's purpose for me looks like.

No comments: